But throw away those pre-conceived notions…
Because you got us all wrong.
1. Librarians are relaxed!
It’s considered one of the least stressful jobs, according to this report by CareerCast.com.
2. The Library & Information Science field is evolving.
Forget working only in dusty book stacks. There are modern technology and data-based jobs for Library degree-holders such as Digital Manuscripts Project Manager, Information Research Specialist, Web Project Manager, GIS Map Specialist, Creative Project Manager, etc.
3. Special Librarians can also work for museums, law offices, and even orchestras!
Along with large corporations, hospitals, etc.
There’s even such a thing as a “Wine Librarian.”
Best job ever? Read more about wine libraries here.
4. Librarians can be fun!
Steven Kemple, music librarian at the Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County’s Main Library, dons this Gorilla suit as a way of being experimental and to invoke curiosity among his patrons.
Or this Guerilla Librarian, who set up Corner Library in Brooklyn, NY.
Nothing exemplifies a good time like a dance party at the library!
8. Some of our favorite authors were librarians.
Along with Marcel Proust, Madeleine L’Engle, Joanna Cole (The Magic School Bus Series), and Jacob Grimm (Grimms’ Fairy Tales).
9. But most importantly, librarians make a difference.
According to NPR, “Most inmates will never win early release, so the library becomes a place to improve reading skills, write a letter home, watch an instructional video on auto mechanics or just escape, mentally.” Hear this NPR interview with Prison Librarian Glennor Shirley here.
The life of Judge Olly Neal’s (pictured here with his daughter) was transformed by his school librarian, Mildred Grady. Read the incredibly heartwarming story here. (Beware: it’s a tearjerker.)
- Doctors Without Borders is demanding an independent fact-finding mission into the deadly U.S. bombing on its Afghan hospital. ›
- The European Union is now using naval vessels in the Mediterranean to intercept boats that are smuggling refugees and migrants to Europe. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar have won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›