1. Some people think you go to an Ivy League school when you tell them you go/went to Purdue
4. You know to avoid the wind tunnel underneath the Math Building
5. And you know that Purdue crews don’t know how to clear snow off the sidewalks properly
6. Stephen Colbert representing Purdue on the Colbert Report. Enough said.
7. You remember the “new” Purdue Pete that lasted for less than a week because “old” Purdue Pete scared kids
9. You know that the Boilermaker Special is Purdue’s official mascot, and that it is the largest, fastest, and most annoying mascot in the world.
Either way, our mascot can run over any mascot in the country, even the adorable midget they call a mascot in South Bend. Speaking of South Bend…
10. You hate Notre Dame simply because their fans are annoying and never went to ND
The 2012 season didn’t help, but seeing them get embarrassed by Alabama was a great way to start 2013!
11. They’re even worse when they cheer for Indiana University in the winter…
12. They also go to other colleges in Indiana, like Ball State or Indiana State, or they never went to college at all.
14. IU students and fans like to rub it in your face that they came back from the bottom of the Big Ten, beat bad Purdue teams, and went to back-to-back Sweet 16s
BUT DON’T CALL IT A COMEBACK, GUYS!!
15. But at least Purdue can still beat IU in football every year
It’s 4:41pm, and IU Still Sucks!
16. You know the lyrics to “Party in the USA” thanks to the Paint Crew
17. You beam with pride when talking about Neil Armstrong being a Boilermaker
18. And don’t forget about Drew Brees
Holy Toledo! http://youtu.be/o-W7DG-WGDQ?t=53s (2000 Purdue vs Ohio State)
Other awesome Purdue grads include:
Gene Cernan (last man on the moon)
Captain “Sully” Sullenberger (Yes, the same guy who landed a plane on the Hudson River)
Ryan Newman (one of the few, if only, NASCAR drivers with a college degree)
Orville Redenbacher (you’re welcome for the delicious popcorn)
And many other badasses listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Purdue_University_people
19. You know that nothing good ever happens at “Where Else?”
Hence why so many athletes have been arrested there…
But at least you know they’re going to do well after graduation
23. Even if you aren’t in engineering, you know these lyrics better than “Thrift Shop”
And you remember the debate on campus if it was racist/sexist simply because Mitch Daniels was in it.
24. You have to explain Harry’s and Triple XXX every time to non-Purdue people
Harry’s was founded during the prohibition, hence why it is called the Chocolate Shop. Triple XXX started in 1929 as a root beer stand selling Triple XXX Root Beer (which they still make and sell). The three Xs indicated the high quality of the drink. There are now only two Triple XXX Restaurants left in the country and the one in West Lafayette is the only one that still serves Triple XXX Root Beer.
More info here: https://www.triplexxxfamilyrestaurant.com/about/default.aspx
25. And the Duane Purvis All-American from Triple XXX was the best thing you have ever tasted.
26. You find it perfectly normal to wake up early, dress up, and go drink on Saturday mornings
27. You know the consequences of pulling out your cell phone at the Piano Bar and if Bruce sees you
28. The best way to cool off after classes is to run through one of these bad boys
30. Elliott Hall of Music might as well be called Elliott Hall of Exams
31. No one says Hello on the “Hello Walk”
And if someone does, they usually get mean looks.
32. You don’t even dare to walk under the Bell Tower
36. And though our athletics aren’t always at their best…
We can always count on one thing…
To Your Call Once More We Rally;
Alma Mater Hear Our Praise.
Where The Wabash Spreads Its Valley;
Filled With Joy Our Voices Raise.
From The Skies In Swelling Echoes
Come The Cheers That Tell The Tale
Of Your Vict’ries And Your Heros,
Hail Purdue! We Sing All Hail!
Hail, Hail To Old Purdue!
All Hail To Our Old Gold And Black!
Hail, Hail To Old Purdue!
Our Friendship May She Never Lack.
Ever Grateful, Ever True,
Thus We Raise Our Song Anew;
Of The Days We’ve Spent With You,
All Hail Our Own Purdue!
When In After Years We’re Turning,
Alma Mater, Back To You.
May Our Hearts With Love Be Yearning
For The Scenes Of Old Purdue.
Back Among Your Pathways Winding
Let Us Seek What Lies Before;
Fondest Hopes And Aims E’er Finding,
While We Sing Of Days Of Yore.