1. Ukraine’s parliament convened on Wednesday for the first time since a controversial election in October. It didn’t end well.
The words on the shirts read, “Freedom to Political Prisoners,” a reference to former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, whose imprisonment for alleged abuse of power is considered politically motivated by many.
6. Then, on Thursday, opposition lawmakers abandoned the session in protest of their minority status.
7. But not before a few words from Vitali Klitschko, chairman of the opposition party and a heavyweight champion boxer …
9. … and another fistfight, of course.
- Guatemalan President Otto Pérez Molina has resigned amid a lengthy corruption scandal that has brought his government to the brink. ›
- China will cut its military personnel by 300,000, shrinking the forces to 2 million people. President Xi Jinping called it a gesture of peace. ›
- A new study says there are 3 trillion trees on Earth — much more than previously thought. But we're losing them fast 🌳 ›