1. Ukraine’s parliament convened on Wednesday for the first time since a controversial election in October. It didn’t end well.
The words on the shirts read, “Freedom to Political Prisoners,” a reference to former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, whose imprisonment for alleged abuse of power is considered politically motivated by many.
6. Then, on Thursday, opposition lawmakers abandoned the session in protest of their minority status.
7. But not before a few words from Vitali Klitschko, chairman of the opposition party and a heavyweight champion boxer …
9. … and another fistfight, of course.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.