1. This is the tip of the spire of One WTC — the final touch on a building that, at 1,776 feet, will be the tallest in the Western Hemisphere.
3. Though the final piece was lifted today, it will be attached to the spire at a later date.
Ironworker Tommy Hickey holds a guide rope as the final piece of spire is hoisted to the roof.
6. For now, the piece will rest on a temporary work platform.
10. The 18-piece spire will be 408 feet tall.
13. The final piece was visible even from Jersey City Heights, across the Hudson River.
- Polls have officially closed in the Greek referendum. The country is deciding whether to accept sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds.
- The U.S. will face Japan in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.