1. This is Metro, a 10-year-old horse from Maryland, and his owner, Ron Krajewski.
2. Metro was a turf sprinter who competed at Belmont Stakes and the Saratoga Springs Horse Show until his knees gave out.
3. “He is a horse,” Krajewski says of Metro’s art. “It is what it is…”
4. “A painting you can hang on your wall and tell all your friends it was painted by a horse.”
5. Metro’s owners say they donate half of Metro’s earnings to the New Vocations Racehorse Adoption Program.
Read more about New Vocations here.
6. The rest of his money goes toward hospital bills.
7. Krajewski told Reuters there is a “waiting list of 120” for the paintings.
The larger acrylics, 20 inches by 20 inches (51 × 51 cms), sell for $850 at the gallery, he said, and smaller cut-down versions, 5 inches by 7 inches (12.7 × 17.8 cms), are $80.
One of Metro’s large paintings sold on eBay for more than $2,000, and bidding for another one on Friday was hovering at $800 with only a few hours to go.