Man Dies After Eating 30 Roaches, 30 Worms And 100 Millipedes

A bug-eating contest ends in tragedy.

This is Edward “Barry” Archbold. He died Friday night after collapsing in front of Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, Florida.

Archbold had just won a bug-eating contest, the prize for which was a python.

During the contest, he reportedly ate 30 of these cockroaches…

ID: 629177
Via http://Shutterstock
ID: 629212

100 of these millipedes…

ID: 629211

and more than 30 of these worms…

Via http://Shutterstock
ID: 629210

This video was taken during the contest. Archbold is on the far left, wearing a yellow shirt. He walks out of the frame early — the collapse isn’t caught on tape.

ID: 630825

After collapsing, the 32-year-old was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The news spread quickly on message boards — especially within the eating-contest community.

On Friday night, the contest (and Archbold’s illness) was even tweeted.

ID: 629182

Archbold himself posted to Facebook with updates on his progress.

ID: 629103

The last photo Archbold uploaded, with the caption “Super worms…..”

ID: 629107

His last update.

ID: 629108

After news of his death spread, Archbold’s friends and fellow competitors tried to explain what really happened.

ID: 629124

The business holding the contest also issued a statement.

ID: 629065

In the aftermath of his death, the debate continues as to who’s at fault — Archbold for entering the contest, or the reptile shop for not providing EMS supervision.

ID: 629137

Check out more articles on!

  Your Reaction?

    Hot Buzz

    17 Mind-Blowingly Delicious Noodles To Try In NYC


    31 Reasons Potatoes Are The Best Thing At Thanksgiving


    Now Buzzing