This is Mantoloking, New Jersey, a barrier island town pummeled by storm Sandy throughout Monday and early Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, a natural gas fire rekindled in the evacuated borough, wreaking even more havoc. Firefighters are apparently unable to reach the scene because of flooded roads. At least 14 homes have already been destroyed.
3. Smoke from Mantoloking, as seen from neighboring Brick:
4. Mantoloking on Tuesday, after the brunt of the storm:
9. The Mantoloking Bridge, before and after:
top Google Maps, bottom Julio Cortez/AP
- Turkey's military released an audio recording of what it says were warnings to the Russian warplane before it was downed near Syria's border. ›
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›