This is Mantoloking, New Jersey, a barrier island town pummeled by storm Sandy throughout Monday and early Tuesday. On Wednesday morning, a natural gas fire rekindled in the evacuated borough, wreaking even more havoc. Firefighters are apparently unable to reach the scene because of flooded roads. At least 14 homes have already been destroyed.
3. Smoke from Mantoloking, as seen from neighboring Brick:
4. Mantoloking on Tuesday, after the brunt of the storm:
9. The Mantoloking Bridge, before and after:
top Google Maps, bottom Julio Cortez/AP
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- Matt Stonie won the 2015 Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, beating 8-time champion Joey Chestnut ☀️??