Caroline Wozniacki, the 22-year-old Dane ranked 10th in the world, teased American Serena Williams (ranked third) during a recent match against Maria Sharapova in Brazil, stuffing towels down her outfit to imitate Williams’ curves.
In a press conference after the game, Wozniacki explainined the Brazil crowd is always “open and they have a lot of fun.”
Not everyone enjoyed the joke. From Feministing:
Making fun of somebody’s body is inappropriate, sexist, offensive and problematic. But given the history and current-day context of racialized standards of beauty, and the hypersexualization of people of color, when a white woman makes fun of a black women’s body, especially in a way that hypersexualizes her and draws on the stereotype of black women’s big butts, it’s racist.
5. It’s worth noting that Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic have both pulled similar stunts:
7. But remind us, Serena, who won Olympic gold this summer?
- Hundreds of people have arrived by train to Austria from Hungary on Monday, as European Union asylum rules collapsed under the escalating migration crisis. ›
- A video released on Monday shows two Texas deputies fatally shooting a man with his hands up. A witness sold the footage to a local TV station for $100. ›
- President Obama called on global leaders to address climate change during a visit to the Alaskan Arctic. He is the first U.S. President to tour the Arctic. ›