Caroline Wozniacki, the 22-year-old Dane ranked 10th in the world, teased American Serena Williams (ranked third) during a recent match against Maria Sharapova in Brazil, stuffing towels down her outfit to imitate Williams’ curves.
In a press conference after the game, Wozniacki explainined the Brazil crowd is always “open and they have a lot of fun.”
Not everyone enjoyed the joke. From Feministing:
Making fun of somebody’s body is inappropriate, sexist, offensive and problematic. But given the history and current-day context of racialized standards of beauty, and the hypersexualization of people of color, when a white woman makes fun of a black women’s body, especially in a way that hypersexualizes her and draws on the stereotype of black women’s big butts, it’s racist.
5. It’s worth noting that Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic have both pulled similar stunts:
7. But remind us, Serena, who won Olympic gold this summer?
- The death penalty should still be considered for Colorado theater shooter James Holmes, a jury decided.
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- California Gov. Jerry Brown called for a state of emergency as wildfires burned thousands of acres by Sunday and forced hundreds of evacuations.