Caroline Wozniacki, the 22-year-old Dane ranked 10th in the world, teased American Serena Williams (ranked third) during a recent match against Maria Sharapova in Brazil, stuffing towels down her outfit to imitate Williams’ curves.
In a press conference after the game, Wozniacki explainined the Brazil crowd is always “open and they have a lot of fun.”
Not everyone enjoyed the joke. From Feministing:
Making fun of somebody’s body is inappropriate, sexist, offensive and problematic. But given the history and current-day context of racialized standards of beauty, and the hypersexualization of people of color, when a white woman makes fun of a black women’s body, especially in a way that hypersexualizes her and draws on the stereotype of black women’s big butts, it’s racist.
5. It’s worth noting that Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic have both pulled similar stunts:
7. But remind us, Serena, who won Olympic gold this summer?
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.