Caroline Wozniacki, the 22-year-old Dane ranked 10th in the world, teased American Serena Williams (ranked third) during a recent match against Maria Sharapova in Brazil, stuffing towels down her outfit to imitate Williams’ curves.
In a press conference after the game, Wozniacki explainined the Brazil crowd is always “open and they have a lot of fun.”
Not everyone enjoyed the joke. From Feministing:
Making fun of somebody’s body is inappropriate, sexist, offensive and problematic. But given the history and current-day context of racialized standards of beauty, and the hypersexualization of people of color, when a white woman makes fun of a black women’s body, especially in a way that hypersexualizes her and draws on the stereotype of black women’s big butts, it’s racist.
5. It’s worth noting that Andy Roddick and Novak Djokovic have both pulled similar stunts:
7. But remind us, Serena, who won Olympic gold this summer?
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›