After a series of angry Facebook updates, Andrew W.K. has released a full statement on “his side of the State Dept. controversy.”
W.K. claims to have received an e-mail from the U.S. Department of State in September 2011 asking that he deliver a motivational lecture in Bahrain. He accepted, and his appearance was scheduled for Dec. 1 after a lengthy approval process.
On Monday morning, he was sent his official itinerary. Later that day, he was notified by phone that the trip had been canceled because of some “higher level controversy.” W.K. wasn’t given a specific reason, but State Department spokesman Noel Clay later told Salon that the invitation was “a mistake and not appropriate.”
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and the gloves were off 🇺🇸
- North Korea launched a rocket that the country said was carrying a satellite, but which some critics believe was a way to test prohibited missile technology.
- Beyoncé dropped a new song and video called "Formation". She's performing at the Super Bowl on Sunday 👑🐝