1. Meet Kenneth Conley and Jose Banks, two convicted bank robbers imprisoned at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago.
2. On Tuesday, they escaped from this building …
It’s 28 stories, with each cell’s window 5 inches wide and 7.5 feet long.
3. … using this.
4. It’s either a knotted rope or bed sheets, police say.
5. Here’s its harness.
6. The escape comes one week after one of the men made a courtroom vow of retribution, the Associated Press reports.
7. The escape happened sometime between 5 a.m. and 8:45 a.m. Tuesday morning. By the time the prison realized they were gone, “it was clearly already too late,” one nearby shop owner told the AP. “They were long gone.”
Mugshots via FBI. All other photos by M. Spencer Green for the AP.