1. Meet Kenneth Conley and Jose Banks, two convicted bank robbers imprisoned at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago.
2. On Tuesday, they escaped from this building …
It’s 28 stories, with each cell’s window 5 inches wide and 7.5 feet long.
3. … using this.
4. It’s either a knotted rope or bed sheets, police say.
5. Here’s its harness.
6. The escape comes one week after one of the men made a courtroom vow of retribution, the Associated Press reports.
7. The escape happened sometime between 5 a.m. and 8:45 a.m. Tuesday morning. By the time the prison realized they were gone, “it was clearly already too late,” one nearby shop owner told the AP. “They were long gone.”
Mugshots via FBI. All other photos by M. Spencer Green for the AP.
- Chicago officials have released the video of a white police officer fatally shooting Laquan McDonald, a black teenager. The officer was charged with murder Tuesday. ›
- At least 19 people in seven U.S. states have been infected with E. coli in an outbreak officials believe is linked to rotisserie chicken salads sold at Costco. ›
- Adele broke the single-week U.S. album sales record set by NSYNC in 2000. "25" sold at least 2.43 million in about three days. ›