1. 2003: We got our first taste of the Jason Mraz fedora.
2. And the Britney Spears fedora.
4. 2003: That dark-hair-on-the-bottom look happened.
What is that even called? Reverse ombre? 2003 was a simpler time when no one ever used the word “ombre.”
5. 2013: The inverse: ombre hair.
Growing out your roots or trendy style choice? We’ll never know.
6. 2003: Kelly Clarkson had a tiny scarf.
At the time, that scarf seemed like the coolest part of her “Miss Independent” video.
9. 2003: The trend of butt logos was beginning to blossom.
Butt communication was on its way to an all-time high.
10. 2013: It was hard to find a summer dress that didn’t have a cutout.
Random patches of skin were at an all-time high.
14. 2013: Skater dresses were important.
15. 2003: The lead singer of Train wore this nice shirt.
In the “Calling All Angels” video. And are those cords?
16. And Justin Timberlake demonstrated this classic everydude look.
17. 2013: Everyone is in a contest to see how much plaid they can wear.
18. 2003: Tall boots were high heeled and pointy, especially if you were going to kiss Madonna.
19. 2013: Tall boots were flat.
20. Unless it was a wedge boot.
May God have mercy on your soul.
21. 2003: The faux hawk.
22. 2013: Mustaches.
26. 2003: Britney Spears wore this.
Remember white belts? And the rest of…this?
27. 2013: Katy Perry wore this.
28. 2003: Jeans with the faux crotch crinkles were all over the place.
29. 2013: Peplums were all over the place.
30. 2003: Denim miniskirts seemed like a good idea.
31. 2013: High-waisted shorts seemed like a good idea.
Or did they?
32. 2003: You might spot a Muppet coat.
Bonus points for that handkerchief hem.
33. 2013: You still might spot a Muppet coat.
34. 2003: Justin Timberlake wore this cool hat.
36. 2003: This Louis Vuitton bag everywhere.
37. 2013: Chambray everywhere.
In 2003 this would be considered a dad shirt.
38. 2003: Cargo pants, some cropped, were king.
39. 2013: Crop tops were king.
40. 2003: The golden era of popped collars.
(Note: Photo is a reenactment.)