1. Marijuana helps fight cancer.
Cannabinoids, the active components of marijuana, inhibit tumor growth in laboratory animals and also kill cancer cells.
2. In fact, heavy marijuana use doesn’t lead to lung cancer.
According to a 2006 study at UCLA, while marijuana contains cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, the THC present may prevent cancer cells from forming. Said one researcher: “We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use. What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect.”
3. It’s substantially less physically addictive than other drugs.
A study found that about 9% of marijuana users became clinically dependent at some point, compared with 15% of cocaine users and 24% of heroin users.
5. Pot’s medical benefits are corroborated by research.
Cannabis has been found to effectively treat pain stemming from cancer, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, spinal cord injury and many other debilitating conditions in many patients.
9. Medical marijuana has been around for thousands of years.
The use of cannabis fiber dates back at least 10,000 years in Taiwan, and cannabis is one of the 50 “fundamental” herbs in traditional Chinese medicine. The ancient Egyptians used hemp (cannabis) in suppositories for relieving the pain of hemorrhoids; the ancient Greeks used cannabis to dress wounds and sores on their horses. And until 1937, marijuana was legal in the United States for all purposes.
12. Weed can keep you skinny. (No, seriously.)
A 2013 study of over 4,600 adults found that “current marijuana users had significantly smaller waist circumference than participants who had never used marijuana, even after adjusting for factors like age, sex, tobacco and alcohol use, and physical activity levels. They also had higher levels of HDL (i.e., good cholesterol).”
13. If you’re not into putting smoke in your lungs, there are other alternatives.
14. Because fun pipes are fun.
15. Marijuana can lessen your risk for glaucoma.
THC lowers intraocular pressure, which in turn can lower the risk of the optic nerve damage that causes glaucoma. And eyesight is good.