1. Sophie Mullins, a 6-year-old from West Virginia, complained to her father that she was too tired from doing her constant homework assignments in first grade.
2. Her dad, in typical “dad joke” fashion, told her to write to her congressman about it. So she did.
“All we do is work, work, work. I need a break. Can you please help?” Sophie writes, saying she wants to spend less time on homework and more time hanging out with her dad.
4. Two weeks later, Sophie received a personal phone call from U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va.
5. Senator Manchin asked Sophie what kind of work was tiring her out. “Math and reading and writing,” she said.
“Basically if you work hard it’s going to pay off, you’re going to be smarter, aren’t you?” he replied. “So you keep working hard on your studies so you can get smarter, so you can help us.”
6. Sophie says now she’ll get back to “work and work and work.”
- NATO is sending boats to the Aegean Sea to try to help combat the migrant and refugee crisis.
- Time for Democratic presidential debate number six: Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders will face each other tonight in Wisconsin 🇺🇸
- The reboot of popular BBC car show "Top Gear" will have seven presenters, but only one woman 🚗💁