Cory Bernardi. Typical Tea Party-style hypocrite! #auspol
1. Ultra conservative Sen. Cory “Corgi” Bernardi is notorious for his extreme views.
Like the time he made a speech in Parliament linking homosexuality to bestiality, which resulted in his forced resignation as Tony Abbott’s parliamentary secretary.
2. The senator has a new book out, and it’s a doozy.
Highlights from The Conservative Revolution include the way Bernardi says women use abortion as “an abhorrent form of birth control”, and describes the pro-abortion rights movement as “pro-death.” He believes religion should play a more prominent role in politics (and by religion he means Christianity), and that we all need to revert back to more traditional values, particularly in relation to families. You see, Bernardi thinks that not all families are created equal — of course, the traditional family is the most, in fact the only, acceptable way to go. He is critical of stepfamilies, says being conceived through IVF makes you a “commodity”, and being raised by a single mother causes girls to be promiscuous and boys to become criminals. Don’t even get him started on same-sex marriage.
4. Needless to say, this didn’t really go over well with, well, anybody.
Opposition leader Bill Shorten said he was offended by Bernardi’s comments, Tony Abbott’s office released a statement emphasising Bernardi’s backbencher status and saying “his views do not represent the position of the government”, and Liberal MP Warren Entsch questioned Bernardi’s gay “obsession” and noted “he who protests the loudest…”
5. And then the internet got involved. First, the Amazon reviews flooded in.
10. Then the memes began.
13. They confronted Bernardi’s views on sexuality.
16. Poked fun at his statements on families.
24. Then South Australians took to Tumblr to apologise for Bernardi being elected in their state.
28. This page became the top result when you search for Cory Bernardi on Facebook.
Bernardi appears to have deleted his own Facebook page.