Note: This is only a theory, so there’s no spoilers for the actual show or books. But if you’re really allergic to any hint of a spoiler then maybe proceed with caution.
2. So, you know Jon Snow? Commonly referred to as “Ned Stark’s bastard.” No idea who his mother is.
Poor Jon Snow.
3. Turns out the secret of who his mother is could actually be very significant.
4. LOL THANKS NED.
5. In fact, guessing the identity of Jon Snow’s mother was actually the test George R. R. Martin gave David Benioff and D. B. Weiss when they asked if they could adapt his books into a show.
(They guessed right, obviously).
6. Many fans believe the answer they gave was Lyanna Stark, Ned’s sister.
7. But before you freak out that this is another Jaime/Cersei situation, don’t worry — the theory goes that Ned is not actually Jon’s father, and that Rhaegar Targaryen is.
8. Remember, Rhaegar was the one who kidnapped Lyanna, causing her fiancé Robert Baratheon to go to war, kill Rhaegar, and become king.
9. Lyanna died in the meantime, and Ned went home to Winterfell, after fighting alongside Robert, with a dead sister and a new baby.
10. A baby who, according to the theory, he claimed as his own bastard to protect him from Robert and the Lannisters, who were killing Targaryens left and right.
11. Watch this video by YouTuber Alt Shift X for an amazing rundown of all the evidence for this theory, as well as the potential implications.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel on Saturday in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- One person was killed and two others were seriously injured Friday when an air medical transport helicopter crashed in Colorado.
- Popular sections of Reddit went dark this week as confusion and protests swept the site.