1. Tony Abbott recently took some time to chat to a group of school kids on an excursion in Canberra. Props to him. Of course, when he said he’d answer some questions, he probably didn’t quite expect what happened next.
2. The kids, in Year 9 at Newtown High School of the Performing Arts, start off by asking why he got rid of the Carbon Tax. The PM gives a pretty standard answer.
3. The next question was a bit trickier.
4. At this point the PM seems to get an idea of the kind of crowd he’s facing, and somewhat awkwardly tries to answer.
5. But the kids don’t let him off the hook.
6. So he decides it time for a “bloke” to speak.
7. But it doesn’t get any better for him.
8. This is clearly not what he thought he was getting into.
9. He takes one final question, and it’s a doozy.
10. He argues that he doesn’t buy into the belief that only women can make decisions for women.
11. When pressed, he pulls out the old “if we were talking about men, you’d think differently” chestnut.
12. Watch the whole exchange below, and rejoice that the youth aren’t so disengaged after all.
Jenna Guillaume is a senior editor for BuzzFeed and is based in Sydney.
In The News Today