1. The house with the pool becomes the most popular on the street.
2. Even the crocs come by for a swim.
3. You can’t go out without your zinc war paint on.
4. You feel protected when the red and yellow lifeguard flags appear along the beaches.
5. And you’re almost tempted to get caught in a rip.
6. You get sand EVERYWHERE, and keep finding it in random places for the next three months.
7. Everything gets decorated for Christmas — a white Christmas, to be precise.
8. Even though the closest you’ve ever come to such a thing is the colour of the sand at the beach.
9. The frangipani are in full bloom, and their scent fills the air.
10. The heat is unbearable, but you still long for the mercury to rise above 40ºC, ‘cause legend has it that means you get a day off school or work.
11. At least you still have hours of sunlight at the end of the day to walk your dog/play backyard cricket/do whatever the hell you want.
12. And before long, everyone in the country goes on holidays.
14. And the life of those who play it.
15. And, on special occasions, the whole beach.
16. You go barefoot most of the time, and the soles of your feet become one giant callus thanks to being stabbed by bindis, burned by dry sand, and scorched by bitumen.
17. If you’re feeling a bit fancy, you bring out the thongs.
18. Men walk around shirtless 85% of the time.
19. Of course, they’re not always shirtless. Sometimes they put on a singlet.
20. You learn to use your hands as little as possible while driving. Because the steering wheel, it burns.
21. Between Field Day, the Big Day Out, Soundwave, Laneway and Future Music, your whole budget is pretty much blown on music festivals.
Where you just get drunk and injured.