1. She believed VapoRub was a cure for everything.
3. If you scraped your knee, you could always expect the “Sana, sana” rhyme.
4. Cristina was her version of Oprah…
5. And Walter Mercado was her supreme adviser.
6. Whenever she watched novelas you were given a play by play.
Whether you liked it or not.
7. Her yelling sometimes took a paradoxical tone.
9. Because if she ever actually counted to three you were officially fucked.
10. And you would then feel the wrath of the dreaded chancla.
11. When 15 rolled around she was probably more excited about your quinceañera then you were.
12. To this day she still has you fearing El Cucuy.
13. And she referred to any gaming system as a Nintendo.
14. There was no way you were leaving the house without finishing your chores.
15. And she made sure everything was done with Fabuloso.
16. Somewhere in your kitchen she hung a picture of La Ultima Cena on the wall.
17. And she always made you save plastic bags so you could put them in a bag with even more plastic bags.
18. You knew to clear the house whenever she put chile on the comal.
20. You never understood how she flipped tortillas without burning her fingertips.
21. Her comments on diet were contradictory.
22. She never had the need to buy Tupperware.
23. Her marathon holiday tamaladas led to an all-tamale diet afterward.
Your mother, abuelita, and tias made no less than 2000.
24. Her home remedy for mal ojo was an egg, a chant, and a glass of water.
25. You probably had these velas around the house.
27. And church on Sunday usually wasn’t a choice.
28. She never admitted when she was wrong.
And even though she drove you crazy at times,
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›