1. You played soccer in the street for hours on end.
3. At least one person you knew owned chickens or gallos.
4. When El Paletero came ringing you went running.
5. Even though his treats sometimes gave you raspado mouth.
6. You drank from the manguera when you had to.
And it tasted just like a manguera.
7. You had a go-to corner store you shopped at regularly.
11. And when you called them, whistling was an acceptable form of communication.
12. A lot of houses on your block were pastel colored.
13. And everyone who had pets made sure they stayed outside.
14. You always had access to amazing fruit stands.
16. Everywhere you went you saw Catholic relics.
18. At one point you’ve gone to a panderia with $4 and left with 20 items.
19. You’ve also paid less than a dollar to get some quality elote.
20. You knew someone who always parked their car on the grass.
22. You ate tacos at taco trucks way before they were “hip.”
23. And of course you washed those tacos down with a Mexican Coke.
24. You’ve had to use a Casa de Cambio to change pesos to dollars on at least one occasion.
- Chicago police chief Garry McCarthy has resigned after backlash from the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›