Nobody likes a whiner in person, much less on social media. I understand that we all have our bad days and want to express it to the world, but hold on to your keyboards because you might be ruining someone else’s day. Remember that you often get back what you put out. So save the whining, nobody likes a negative nancy!
2. Airing out your dirty laundry
Alright, he might be a sucky person, but spare Twitter the details. Relationships are meant to be solely between two people. Not only do they reveal an unhappy home, but they also sell a bad image of yourself.
3. Chatting up a storm
Ever feel like you’re talking to yourself online? That might mean that you have a serious case of chatty cathy. There’s a thin line between annoying and entertaining, learn, love it, live it or expect your follower count to start dwindling.
4. Overload on promo
Social media is NOT a place to sell. Instead it’s a place to connect with your followers. Limit your promo, no one likes to feel spammed.
5. Dogging your job
This goes hand in hand with whining. NO ONE CARES! We’ve all had that one job that we detest, but social media is the last place you should vent. For one, your profiles are public for the most part. The only thing worse than having a bad job is having no job. Keep your comments to yourself, or vent to a friend. Spare your social media friends.
6. Not knowing the difference between a personal and business profile
Every social network, besides Twitter, offers a business or personal setting. Knowing which profile best serves your needs is key.
7. Overusing hashtags
We get it, jeez!
8. Following only those that follow you
Social media is about branching out. Get out of your comfort zone and make new connections. This can be the easiest form of networking available to everyone.
9. Sounding fake or robotic
Does your Twitter personality match your day-to-day self? If you have to think about it, you’re doing something wrong. People want to get to know you better, not your alter ego.
10. Misusing social media sites
Get it? Got it? Good.
- U.S. President Barack Obama and leaders from 20 nations called for doubling clean energy research funding over the next five years at the Paris climate summit 🌍 ›
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›