1. 80% of Americans consider the Bible sacred or holy.
2. 88% of American households own a Bible.
3. 56% of Americans believe the Bible has too little influence in today’s society.
4. Those who are 48 years old and older are the most likely to believe this.
5. The King James version is the most popular.
6. 22% believe the Bible is the literal word of God and should be taken literally, word for word.
7. 31% said their faith influences their voting “a great deal.”
8. Those who read the Bible are more likely to give to a charity or nonprofit organization.
9. 20% of Bible readers said John 3:16 was their favorite verse. 9% said Psalm 23 was their favorite verse.
10. 16% strongly agree that the Bible, the Koran, and the Book of Mormon are all different expressions of the same spiritual truths.
11. 29% of Bible readers have read the Bible on smartphones in the past year.
12. 47% strongly agree that the Bible contains everything a person needs to know to live a meaningful life.
13. 45% strongly agree that the Bible teaches God helps those who help themselves.
14. 78% knew that the statement “Noah was married to Joan of Arc” is false.
See the full results of the study here.
Here Are Today's Top Stories
- A boat packed with mainly African migrants bound for Italy sank off the Libyan coast on Thursday and officials fear over 100 people might have died, Reuters reports. ›
- President Obama marked a decade of recovery after Hurricane Katrina, citing gains, but also the immense amount of work that he said still needs to be done. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said (on Faceboook, obviously) that one billion people used the service on Monday 🌐 ›