1. Inspired by Dalí “Lobster Telephone” (Aphrodisiac telephone), designer Elliot Gorham created this modern adaptation.
2. Dalí explains in The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí, “I do not understand why, when I ask for a grilled lobster in a restaurant, I am never served a cooked telephone.”
“I do not understand why champagne is always chilled, and why, on the other hand, telephones, which are habitually so frightfully warm and disagreeably sticky to the touch, are not also put in silver buckets with crushed ice around them.”
3. Elliot Graham elaborates on some of his thoughts behind the adaptation:
Unlike the typical phone case, it doesn’t offer functionality of protection and style…The ‘Lobster Mobile Telephone Case’ presents itself as a deterrent through its awkward and inoperative design. Resulting in minimal enjoyment of function, zero fashion credibility and lastly, reduced mobility for the user.
4. “Its features include; camera incapability, ergonomically awkward, too big for your pocket or handbag and most importantly, it’s ability to cause its users embarrassment.”
- Greece voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain, and its creditors are unimpressed.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.