2. Emoticon = Emotive (emotion) Icon
Emoticons can be traced back to 19th century satirists, but the contemporary digital emoticon was credited in 1982 to Scott Fahlman of Carnegie Mellon University.
5. Velcro = The French Words “Velours” (Velvet) + “Crochet” (Hook)
This is what Velcro looks like up close, btw.
6. Tanzania = Tanganyika & Zanzibar
In 1964, The United Republic of Tanganyika joined with the islands of Zanzibar to form United Republic of Tanzania.
11. Taser = Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle
“Dont Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle me, bro”
13. Vitamin = Vital + Amine
Coined in 1912 by the Polish biochemist Kazimierz Funk, the term comes from vital amine, meaning amine of life.
15. New York Knicks = Knickerbockers
The term refers to the style of pants worn by Dutch settlers in the 1600s. They were rolled up just below the knee and these came to be known as “knickerbockers” or “knickers.”
18. OK = Oll Korrect??
NOBODY KNOWS!! Some theories include that it comes from an abbreviation fad that began in Boston in 1838 when humorists began using exaggerated misspellings. Some have suggested the term goes further back and is of Choctaw Indian and/or West African origin.
19. Cyborg = Cybernetic + Organism
20. Newt Gingrich = Newton Gingrich
His full name is actually Fig Newton Gingrich.
- Doctors Without Borders is demanding an independent fact-finding mission into the deadly U.S. bombing on its Afghan hospital. ›
- The European Union is now using naval vessels in the Mediterranean to intercept boats that are smuggling refugees and migrants to Europe. ›
- Texas carried out its 11th execution of the year on Tuesday — the most of any state — putting to death an inmate who murdered a man over $8. ›