2. Emoticon = Emotive (emotion) Icon
Emoticons can be traced back to 19th century satirists, but the contemporary digital emoticon was credited in 1982 to Scott Fahlman of Carnegie Mellon University.
5. Velcro = The French Words “Velours” (Velvet) + “Crochet” (Hook)
This is what Velcro looks like up close, btw.
6. Tanzania = Tanganyika & Zanzibar
In 1964, The United Republic of Tanganyika joined with the islands of Zanzibar to form United Republic of Tanzania.
11. Taser = Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle
“Dont Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle me, bro”
13. Vitamin = Vital + Amine
Coined in 1912 by the Polish biochemist Kazimierz Funk, the term comes from vital amine, meaning amine of life.
15. New York Knicks = Knickerbockers
The term refers to the style of pants worn by Dutch settlers in the 1600s. They were rolled up just below the knee and these came to be known as “knickerbockers” or “knickers.”
18. OK = Oll Korrect??
NOBODY KNOWS!! Some theories include that it comes from an abbreviation fad that began in Boston in 1838 when humorists began using exaggerated misspellings. Some have suggested the term goes further back and is of Choctaw Indian and/or West African origin.
19. Cyborg = Cybernetic + Organism
20. Newt Gingrich = Newton Gingrich
His full name is actually Fig Newton Gingrich.
- Fox News has announced the 10 Republican candidates who will participate in the first debate of the 2016 U.S. presidential race on Thursday.
- The World Health Organization says new cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone and Guinea hit the lowest point in more than a year last week.
- Super Typhoon Soudelor, the strongest storm of 2015 so far, is threatening parts of Asia after hitting the Pacific island Saipan.