8. The Sudan* x The United States
*before South Sudan officially became an independent state on July 9, 2011
18. The U.S. vs The World
19. Maps are just all wrong. Here’s how the world map should look according to “The West Wing”:
Ah, the politics of map design.
The Gall-Peters Projection world map
While originally created by James Gall in 1885, the Gall-Peters Projection came into public consciousness in 1967 when Arno Peters championed it as a more accurate representation of the size of countries. It was considered controversial for calling into question the way the “third-world” is represented.
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan acknowledged that American forces mistakenly struck a hospital in Kunduz, killing 22 people. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›