8. The Sudan* x The United States
*before South Sudan officially became an independent state on July 9, 2011
18. The U.S. vs The World
19. Maps are just all wrong. Here’s how the world map should look according to “The West Wing”:
Ah, the politics of map design.
The Gall-Peters Projection world map
While originally created by James Gall in 1885, the Gall-Peters Projection came into public consciousness in 1967 when Arno Peters championed it as a more accurate representation of the size of countries. It was considered controversial for calling into question the way the “third-world” is represented.
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan called the hospital bombing that killed 22 people "a mistake." ›
- Historic flooding has killed 16 people in South Carolina, where rain finally stopped falling on Tuesday. ›
- New York's attorney general is looking into whether employees at fantasy sports sites might have won bets based on information not available to the public, the New York Times reports. ›