1. Okay, so you clock one standing around with their golf umbrella and clipboard.
That faux friendliness is visible a mile off.
2. Prepare to be cynical.
They want your money and potentially a legally binding signature, so look out.
3. If you’re finding that hard, just keep the word ‘No’ at the forefront of your mind.
No one has the right to harangue you outside M&S. NO ONE.
4. Do NOT stop walking at any point.
Once you stop, they’ve got you.
5. Say ‘No, thank you’ in a bright and breezy tone, no matter what their opener is.
Even if it’s ‘Would you like some cake?’
6. Be firm but polite.
Just because they’re rude and pushy doesn’t mean you should be, no matter how tempting it is.
7. If they’re annoyingly persistent, channel ice queen extraordinaire Cersei Lannister.
It’s not cool to follow you down the high street.
8. Take all their patter with a tablespoon of salt.
They might hit you with an offer while you’re scurrying away, and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
9. Suspend any guilt you might feel as you escape their persuasive clutches.
It’s okay to say no to people. Especially people who would quite happily watch you go bankrupt.