1. There’s one of these signs in every subway station in New York City.
2. If you pay attention, you’ll see that the conductors point at them at every stop.
3. Here’s why:
TL;DR version: It’s to make sure the conductor is paying attention and that the train is stopped at the right place.
4. So what happens when you do this?
5. The result is pretty great.
- President Obama addressed the 54-member African Union, a first for a sitting U.S. president. The speech marks the end of his historic five-day trip to East Africa.
- The Boy Scouts of America has ended its ban on gay leaders, two years after lifting a ban on gay youth members.
- Boston is no longer pursuing a bid to host the 2024 summer Olympics.
- The Arizona Cardinals have hired the NFL's first female coach.