2. A Good Coffee Table Book
If print is *dead*, or on life support, coffee table books are like the people from that island in Greece who live basically forever. Times change, but people always love to have coffee table books — and no one ever buys them for themselves, which makes them an A+ gift.
3. A 3D Printing Pen
“3D printing is the future 3D printing is the future 3D printing is the future 3D printing is the future 3D printing is the fuuuu….” Anyway! Real 3D printers cost $2,200 but you can still indulge your gift recipient’s ahead-of-the-curve aspirations with this pen, called the 3Doodler, which costs only $99.
4. Homemade Cookies, Presented Nicely
Cookies? Bear with me. Even the most difficult person on this entire earth cannot be mad that you baked them cookies. No one’s too cool for cookies. Just don’t wrap them in tinfoil and throw them in a shoebox. Here’s a good tutorial.
6. This Aggressive Stationery
Terrapin makes notecards that say stuff like LOLZ and FUCK OFF or have pictures of motorcycles. Most people don’t write that many letters (Maybe very cool people do? Who knows.), so a set of 12 is probably plenty.
9. A Subscription to an Indie Magazine
For the person who’s always telling you about some new restaurant and urging you to try sea urchin ramen or something, try a subscription to Lucky Peach ($28 a year). For the type whose Instagrams look like Terry Richardson campaigns, here are a whole bunch of alt fashion magazines. And for the sexually liberated, there’s the brand new highbrow erotica publication Adult.
14. A Gift Certificate to a Local Indie Movie Theater
You know, the one that shows French films.
17. Or, a step better: DIY Infused Booze
Buy some cheap liquor, put it in a mason jar, put some fruit or herbs in it, let sit for a few days, strain, give to your discerning friend/relative, wow them with your dedication and originality. Cucumber gin is nice, and jalapeno tequila is always good.
- U.S. presidential candidates are making their final pitches before the New Hampshire primary, the second voting contest of the nominating season 🇺🇸
- At least 8 people are dead and 150 others injured after two trains collided in Bavaria, Germany, local police say.
- The Pentagon has confirmed that North Korea successfully launched a satellite into orbit on Sunday night.