1. The Boy Scouts finally took a stance on the issue of gay scouts.
Responding to a months-long controversy, the Boy Scouts of America called for a lift on the long-standing ban on gay members Friday. A board still has to actually vote on this in May, and the proposal only extends to gay scouts — not adults involved with the organization.
2. Glee announced TWO more seasons.
Yes, world — there will be at least six seasons of America’s favorite high school musical. Even though viewers have been down 50% this season. Just a week ago, the show aired a a school shooting episode that was, well, not kindly received.
3. At last, Marissa Mayer said something about that Yahoo work-from-home ban.
After two months of silence on the subject, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer finally (finally!) chose to speak out on her ban on working from home during the most hectic week of news of the year. “I need to talk about the elephant in the room,” she said at a conference.
She reportedly admitted, “People are more productive when they’re alone,” but emphasized that “they’re more collaborative and innovative when they’re together. Some of the best ideas come from pulling two different ideas together.”
She also addressed the media’s reaction to her decision, saying, “It was wrongly perceived as an industry narrative.”
4. Yahoo also announced that it would be discontinuing a bunch of products.
“Today we are shutting down a few more products,” a press release on Yahoo’s blog reads. You can say goodbye to Yahoo SMS Alerts, Yahoo Deals, Yahoo Kids, and a few others.
5. Facebook redesigned its main icon.
The public doesn’t react kindly to changes at Facebook. Remember when the Newsfeed was introduced? This isn’t huge, but: Today, Facebook got rid of the stripe at the bottom of its logo.
These icons got a new look too.
- Doctors Without Borders is demanding a war crimes investigation into the U.S. bombing of its Afghan hospital. ›
- Tomas Lindahl, Paul Modrich, and Aziz Sancar have won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for figuring out how cells repair DNA. ›