2. Say hello to princesses, ponies, and mermaids. Sorry, no scientists and builders.
From the Toys R Us 2010 catalog.
3. Here’s a “diamond ring” for a “sweet baby girl” and a “saw” for a “busy baby boy.”
4. It’s playtime! Girls: Please clean the kitchen. Boys: Do science.
Dutch toy catalog.
5. In the 2009 Toys R Us catalog, the pink microscope gets the lowest magnification.
6. In 2010, it gets a mere fraction of the magnification. And costs way less.
7. “Do you think girls will get the memo about the kitchen? OK, well, let’s make it pink just to be sure.”
From a Sears catalogue.
8. Boys: guitars, war, roller coasters. Girls: pink home decor, baking.
9. Here’s the boys’ stuff in Australian store Myers’ catalog.
12. Merry Christmas! Please enjoy your respective sewing machines and cool robot things.
14. The war of the “arty, silly” boys and the “puzzly, pretty” girls.
15. Happy holidays! Girls, per this Pottery Barn Kids catalog, it’s time to make tea in the kitchen. And then have a tea party.
The boys, of course, have more diverse interests: They’re permitted to play with trucks, trains, dinosaurs, and telescopes.
- Former U.S. President George W. Bush delivered a speech honoring New Orleans' teachers during a visit marking the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. ›
- Police confirmed 71 people, likely refugees who fled Syria, were found dead in a truck abandoned in Austria. The suspected drivers have been arrested. ›
- Florida Gov. Rick Scott declared a state of emergency due to the "severe threat" posed to his state by Tropical Storm Erika. ›