1. Melt old lipsticks together to create a rich new color.
When you get to the bottom of a few lipsticks, scoop out what’s left with a small knife and melt them together in a large spoon. If you’re worried that you’ll look like you’re cooking crack, try using a microwave. Pour the completed contents into a small container and leave it in the refrigerator to harden.
2. Fix cracked pressed powder, bronzer, or eyeshadow by pouring alcohol in it.
Use a spoon to mush the contents of the palette into a powder and then add rubbing alcohol, stirring to create a thick paste. Let it sit overnight, allowing the alcohol to evaporate and leaving the powder solid and whole again.
Tip: The higher alcohol content, the faster it will evaporate and harden. 70% or 90% is ideal.
3. Turn a cheap old eye pencil into a new liquid eyeliner.
4. Mix pressed powder with facial moisturizer to make a tinted moisturizer.
Great for a powder you don’t use anymore, or if you struggle to find the perfect color.
5. Mix old powder or eyeshadow with glue to create a sparkly paint.
6. Turn a dried out lipstick into a tinted lip balm.
Mix an old lipstick with petroleum jelly, melt over heat, pour into a small container, and let sit in the refrigerator. Try a pretty tin box, or an old container of Altoids. Full instructions here.
7. Mix sparkly eye shadow with clear nail polish to make your own color.
Add a matte top coat if it’s too shiny for your taste.
8. Pour the last few drops of a perfume into an unscented body lotion.
9. Turn an old makeup compact into a solid perfume container.
Empty an old compact and fill it with beeswax and essential oils to create a solid, easy-to-carry perfume. Full instructions here.
10. Salvage an almost-empty lipgloss by soaking in hot water.
The remaining gloss will fall from the sides of the tube to the bottom.
11. The same process can also revive a dried out mascara.
Soak in hot water until your mascara is goopy once again.
12. Use an old liquid eyeliner brush as a nail art pen.
Clean off the mascara, and then dip in the nail polish color of your choice.
13. When doing house repairs, use an old eyeliner pencil to mark wood and drywall.
Just in case you can’t find a pencil.
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›