Thousands of LGBT individuals have come to the U.S. to escape discrimination and violence in their countries. Some apply for refugee status or asylum because they do not feel they can be safe at home.
We asked a few of them to share their reasons for coming to America and what the experience was like.
2. This is what they had to say.
3. They all miss home, but they feel a sense of freedom that was unimaginable before.
- The man accused in Friday's Planned Parenthood shooting in Colorado made his first court appearance. Charges are expected to be formally filed on Dec. 9. ›
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲
- And there's a hilarious new rap meme of Pope Francis, thanks to a photo taken over the weekend of him giving his blessing 🙏🎤 ›