1. “Pony,” Ginuwine…the Bachelor
You probably sang this in the car with your parents. Awkward.
3. “Because You Loved Me,” Falling Into You
Perhaps it’s the only Celine Dion album you ever purchased.
4. “Back at One,” Back At One
It’s the numerical equivalent of Gwen Stefani’s B-A-N-A-N-A-S and, like Boyz II Men, McKnight is the essence of ’90s R & B.
5. “The Boy is Mine,” The Boy Is Mine
Can’t think of a contemporary all-female duet that can touch this gem.
6. See Above
You had to buy both.
9. “Fly,” Floored
The excitement when this came on while you browsed the aisles in Tower Records.
10. “(You Drive Me) Crazy,” Drive Me Crazy (Soundtrack)
The remix was so big that they renamed the film after it.
12. “If You Had My Love,” On the 6
Who knew the actress who portrayed Selena had pop star dreams of her own?
14. “C’mon N’ Ride It (The Train)” Get On Up and Dance
You probably only knew the chorus but whatever, you owned it.
15. “When The Lights Go Out,” 5ive
Turns out it was their only top ten hit in the U.S. We had enough boy bands to contend with anyway. Thanks for this pop gem though.
18. “Movin’ On,” Mya
The song was cool. She was cool. Silkk the Shocker. that is all.
19. “Livin’ La Vida Loca” Ricky Martin
With the song he had our curiosity, with the video he had our attention.
20. “Tubthumping,” Tubthumper
Confounded by the actual title of the song? You are not alone.
21. “My Name Is,” The Slim Shady LP
So are you Slim Shady or Eminem? All would be answered in due time. Also, most of us probably tried and failed to rap the whole song.
22. “Truly Madly Deeply” Savage Garden
At one point we believed this was as romantic as a ballad could get.
23. “Music of My Heart,” Music Of The Heat (Soundtrack)
You probably also recorded the video and watched the movie all for the love of *NSYNC
24. “My Heart Will Go On,” Titanic: Music from the Motion Picture (Soundtrack)
You know a soundtrack is big when they release a follow-up soundtrack. We may or may not have memorized all the lines featured in the song.
25. “Graduation (Friends Forever),” Vitamin C
You and everyone else walked to this on graduation day. Unoriginal but totally poignant *wipes away tears*
26. “Pretty Fly (For a White Guy),” Americana
We had a love/hate relationship with this one
27. “I Believe I Can Fly,” Space Jam (soundtrack)
It will always bring a smile to your face. So will this
28. “Thong Song,” Unleash the Dragon
The most famous piece of clothing to ever be used in a song.
29. “All My Life,” Love Always
Probably dedicated to your first love. Maybe they knew, maybe they didn’t.
31. “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It,” Big Willie Style
No one used the phrase, but we all sang it.
33. “The Dope Show,” Mechanical Animals
He performed this at the 1998 MTV Music Awards to show you how popular it was. This is probably the only Marilyn Manson song most of us know.
34. “The Bad Touch,” Hooray for Boobies
“Let’s do it like they do on the Discovery channel.” Yup, now you remember.
35. “Gangsta’s Paradise,” Gangsta’s Paradise
As we used to say back then, “this song is dope.”
There are many more albums we bought for just that one amazing track. What are some of yours?