1. BECAUSE YOU CAN WATCH THE ASTRONAUTS IN REAL TIME
Years ago we had no idea what it was like to be in space, and now we can watch astronauts float around and work via Ustream. We can also see the Earth from space. Hello! Technology is awesome.
2. BECAUSE THE ASTRONAUTS TWEET FROM SPACE
Seriously. Can you even process that tweets are being sent to us from space? Commander Chris Hadfield has been entertaining and astounding the Twitterverse with his daily tweets and photos from space. Even now that he has returned to Earth, he is continuing to keep us updated on his progress and upload some of the thousands of photos of our planet.
Follow @astro_luca and @AstroKarenN who are leaving on the Soyuz on May 28 and will be continuing to tweet from above the atmosphere.
3. BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE WHERE IT IS AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT
You can see how fast this joker moves… 5 MILES PER SECOND.
Let that sink in…
FIVE MILES PER SECOND.
It takes only 90 minutes to go around the Earth one time. Astronauts see a sunrise or a sunset every 45 minutes. Is your mind blown yet?
4. BECAUSE IT REMINDS US THE EARTH IS AMAZING
This 2 minute 30 second time lapse video will captivate you.
Things you will see:
1) Lightening from above
2) The Aurora Borealis
3) How thin the atmosphere really is
Just watch it. We’ll wait….
5. BECAUSE YOU CAN GO OUTSIDE AND WATCH IT PASS BY
When times and conditions are right, you can see the International Space Station from your house. It is the third brightest object in the sky (after the sun and moon).
NASA’s Spot the Station will actually send you an email or text few hours before the space station passes over your house. I was actually able to zoom in on my cell phone and see the shape of it
7. BECAUSE IT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER
What is better than multiple countries getting along and working together? The United States, Russia, Europe, Japan, and Canada make up the most politically complex space exploration program EVER UNDERTAKEN.
8. BECAUSE COMMANDER HADFIELD’S VIDEO COULD BE THE GREATEST VIDEO FROM SPACE OF ALL TIME
How awesome is this guy? He covered David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” and it blew everyone’s minds.
- Rapper 50 Cent may claim he's broke, but court records filed in his bankruptcy case show he has $10 million in various bank accounts.