1. If you went to the Google homepage today, you were greeted by Max from Where The Wild Things Are.
2. Which is cool enough, but when you clicked on the “Play” button, “cool enough” becomes “oh my god Google is alive and eating my computer from the inside and it’s wonderful.”
3. Max leaps into his bedroom, which quickly becomes the jungle from Where the Wild Things Are.
4. Speak of the devils.
5. WILD RUMPUS!
6. Carol bids Max bon voyage.
7. Oh, cool, are we going to the island where AHHHH! WIPE!
8. And now we’re in the world of In the Night Kitchen. That’s Mickey flying the bread bomber, taking a dunk in the milk.
9. And the chubby, chasing chefs out to cook him.
10. The book was criticised for showing Mickey in the buff, frequently depcting his genitAHHHH! ANOTHER WIPE!
11. We’re now in the realm of Bumble-Ardy, one of Sendak’s final works.
12. The book follows the mischevious party planning of a playful pig by the name of Bumble-Ardy.
13. His kind of freaky masquerade is broken up by a porcine party pooper.
14. This dog smells bacon.
15. But a book about a birthday bash is a fitting end, as the Google Doodle reunites all of the previous players to wish Maurice Sendak a happy 85th.
16. Maurice Sendak passed away last year, but his works will live on and on and on.
Gavon Laessig is a deputy news director and front page editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Here Are The Top Stories
- A BuzzFeed News investigation lifts the lid on a security scandal that the police and MI5 tried to keep secret.
- Two University of Cincinnati officers who were on the scene shortly after Samuel Dubose was fatally shot have been placed on leave. The officer accused of killing Dubose has been released from jail after posting bond.
- The new Apple TV will debut in September, along with its own App Store.