Doritos covered in batter, then deep-fried. Somehow they get lighter and flakier in the process. Couple your order with some Ranch dipping sauce and have yourself a good time, probably one of the most necessary finger foods you should try at the fair this year. $8.75
Exactly what it sounds like. If you like White Castle + fried things, split an order of this with a few friends so you don’t kill yourself. $7.75
3. Deep Fried Chicken Skins
The best part of chicken made even better. $IDK (I got so excited I forgot to write it down.)
4. Deep Fried Cookie Dough
Amazing. My favorite dessert of the fair — a crispy edge to warm, gooey cookie dough? So. Damn. Good. $7.75
5. Deep Fried Chicken Skins + Deep Fried White Castle Burger + Deep Fried Doritos + Deep Fried Cookie Dough
Geoff‘s eccentricities getting the best of him, and deciding he wanted to taste all of Chicken Charlie’s new delicacies in one bite.
6. Deep Fried Pecan Pie on a Stick
An entire slice of pecan pie, deep fried, and delivered on a stick. $8
7. Giant Pop Rocks Donut
A humongous, pancake-sized warm fluffy donut with a warm pink icing and topped with Cherry Pop Rocks. The donut is what makes this thing credible, the dough is perfect, the warm fry keeps it edible for awhile and it’s a messy delight for everyone involved. $8.75
8. Pickle Dog: A Corn Dog with a Pickle Inside
A bit pricey, but one of the most delicious and unique things at the fair for 2014. This booth hollows out a giant pickle, sticks a weiner-on-a-stick through it, and then batters and fries the entire thing. If you’re a fan of pickles and corndogs respectively, you’ll relish in this extravagant new food item (get it?).
9. Drunken Pickle Poppers
Pickles and Jalapeno poppers had a baby. Fried pickles stuffed with cream cheese & jalapenos. Messy and delicious. Get an order of these. $11
10. Deep Fried Bacon-wrapped Turkey Leg
We’ve seen turkey legs before. We’ve seen bacon-wrapped turkey legs before. But never have we see deep-fried bacon wrapped around an enormous multiple-pound turkey leg — and frankly, it was absolutely delicious. The Guinness Beer-battered bacon really shines and the turkey leg remains ample. If you plan on enjoying the entire thing with multiple people, I’d recommend jumping on a table with a few plates, and start shaving the entire thing off the bone — otherwise after a few bites you’ll all be sharing the same, saliva-ridden meat dumbbell. $20
11. Naked shrimp, rice and pineapple-pineapple bowl
YES. I can’t believe it either — we’re talking about a dish that’s not deep fried and it won’t immediately send you into a cardiac arrest, but it was one of the most delicious, fulfilling and scrumptious things at the fair. The shrimp has a crazy good marinade, the pineapples are cut fresh and the sticky rice absorbs the flavor of the half pineapple it’s sitting in. $14.75
12. Deep-Fried Pineapples
If you like pineapples, these things are moist with a light crunch, in a good good way. The chocolate and coconut is a perfect touch. $6.75
13. Chili Relleno Chorizo Burger on a Pretzel Bun
A chili relleno, chipotle mayo, cheddar cheese, regular hamburger patty, chorizo burger patty, all on a pretzel bun. At $15.75 it was a little on the expensive side for a burger, but damn was it tasty.
14. Deep-Fried Jack Daniel’s-Infused Churro Wrapped in Bacon
It comes with a side of whipped cream and maple syrup, but I highly recommend trying the entire dish sans any of the fancy toppings and letting the Jack Daniel’s shine through. The flavors are fantastic — essentially breakfast in your mouth.
- Hundreds of Eurostar passengers moving between Britain and France were stranded for hours as people were seen on the tracks attempting to get through the tunnel. ›
- Europe's busiest sexual health clinic in London has accidentally revealed the identities of nearly 800 HIV-positive patients in a group email. ›
- The fingerprints of the main suspect in last month's deadly Bangkok shrine blast match those found on bomb-making material, Thai police say. ›