1. Developers once planned to build a banana plantation on the island. It didn’t work out.
2. The Brazilian Navy has forbidden anyone from landing on the island.
3. Snake Island contains the largest concentrated population of snakes in the world.
4. The snakes live off migratory birds, which stop there to rest, and are shortly thereafter slaughtered and eaten by the thousands.
5. The golden lancehead is responsible for 90% of all snakebite-related deaths in Brazil.
6. There are an estimated one to five snakes per square meter.
7. Golden lanceheads grow to “well over” half a meter long.
8. The snakes’ poison is fast-acting, and melts the skin around the bite(s).
9. An unknowing fisherman once landed on the island to innocently pick bananas. He was promptly bitten, and later found in his boat, lying in a large pool of blood.
10. The last lighthouse operator, his wife, and their three children were all bitten by snakes that slithered through a window at night. As they tried to flee the island, snakes bit them from the branches above, and they died before escaping.
Check out this video to see the living, breathing horror:
In The News Today
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Britain is set to increase the number of refugees being let into the country. The extra people aren't in Europe already, they will likely come from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›