3. They’re both athletes, and Harris even won the title of Lacrosse Magazine’s 2012 South Region Player of the Year.
4. Michael’s an impressive athlete too, especially because in 2008, he became a quadruple amputee after a serious bacterial infection.
“On July 22, 2008, he was rushed to the emergency room with a serious bacterial infection,” Harris writes. “His condition quickly worsened – septic shock, a coma, and oxygen deprivation to his four limbs, resulting in quadriplegic amputation.”
5. In spite of Michael’s challenges, he’s still won awards for his athletic accomplishments and “doesn’t let anything stop him.”
6. Michael’s recovery and prostheses couldn’t have happened without the support of his community.
“His mental fortitude carried him through his challenges,” Harris wrote, “but he couldn’t have done it without the overwhelming support of our community. The prostheses he needed cost thousands of dollars, which we wouldn’t have been able to afford without that support.”
7. Which is why when the Boston Marathon bombings occurred, the brothers wanted to help the 14 victims who lost limbs.
“First, they will be sad,” Michael said. “They are losing something they will never get back, and it’s scary. I was scared. But they’ll be OK. They just don’t know that yet.”
8. They’re doing that through Mikey’s Run, a website where you can help to sponsor Harris as he runs in the 2014 Boston Marathon.
9. Mikey will be there supporting his older brother as he runs, and all money donated will go directly to providing assistance and prosthesis to the Boston bombing victims.
11. Interested in donating to Mikey’s Run?
That means you’re an awesome person, congrats! Check out the website, and the best part is that you can donate as much or as litte as you want, but every penny counts towards getting these amputees back in running shape.
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter has crashed in Colorado. Three people were injured, according to reports.
- Serena Williams survived an upset at Wimbledon and defeated Heather Watson. She'll play her older sister Venus in the next round of the tournament ?