4. Michael’s an impressive athlete too, especially because in 2008, he became a quadruple amputee after a serious bacterial infection.
“On July 22, 2008, he was rushed to the emergency room with a serious bacterial infection,” Harris writes. “His condition quickly worsened – septic shock, a coma, and oxygen deprivation to his four limbs, resulting in quadriplegic amputation.”
6. Michael’s recovery and prostheses couldn’t have happened without the support of his community.
“His mental fortitude carried him through his challenges,” Harris wrote, “but he couldn’t have done it without the overwhelming support of our community. The prostheses he needed cost thousands of dollars, which we wouldn’t have been able to afford without that support.”
7. Which is why when the Boston Marathon bombings occurred, the brothers wanted to help the 14 victims who lost limbs.
“First, they will be sad,” Michael said. “They are losing something they will never get back, and it’s scary. I was scared. But they’ll be OK. They just don’t know that yet.”
9. Mikey will be there supporting his older brother as he runs, and all money donated will go directly to providing assistance and prosthesis to the Boston bombing victims.
11. Interested in donating to Mikey’s Run?
That means you’re an awesome person, congrats! Check out the website, and the best part is that you can donate as much or as litte as you want, but every penny counts towards getting these amputees back in running shape.