1. Denver Broncos lineman Elvis Dumervil has made three Pro Bowls over six seasons and led the league in sacks in 2009.
Jack Dempsey / AP
2. He is also a bad, bad man. Just ask Tom Brady.
3. The only problem? Dumervil was slated to make $12 million this season and management wanted him to take a pay cut. Dumervil agreed to take $8 million, rather than risk being released.
Jack Dempsey / AP
4. All Dumervil’s agent had to do was fax the proper paperwork to the Broncos, who would have until 4 p.m. to get the agreement to the league office.
5. And, of course, the 4 p.m. deadline had to be met. The two sides agreed to the pay cut at 3:25 p.m.
6. Problem is, the Broncos never got the fax in time to forward it on to the league office by 4 p.m. So at 3:59 p.m., they were forced to cut Dumervil, or else his $12 million contract would’ve been guaranteed.
7. Dumervil’s fax did reach the Broncos by 4:06 p.m., but it was too late.
8. Here’s ESPN’s explanation of the whole sordid tale.
9. The bottom line is that Dumervil is now a free agent who can sign with whomever he wants. Maybe Oakland is his next stop.
Joe Mahoney / AP
10. Perhaps it’ll be Pittsburgh.
Doug Pensinger / Getty Images
11. Minnesota could definitely use him.
Adam Bettcher / Getty Images
12. Our pick? Well, what Tom Brady wants, Tom Brady gets.
In The News Today
- A flash flood emergency has been issued Sunday in Charleston, South Carolina. More than 16 inches of rain fell in some areas. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- More than a dozen people were killed after severe storms and flooding swept through the French Riviera on Saturday evening. ›