2. BuzzFeed Food foraged for animal brains by contacting various NYC meat purveyors.
3. Then BuzzFeed editor Gavon Laessig ate them. First he started with the chicken brains.
This is a pile of 5 chicken brains.
“Spongey, not very sticky. It just tastes like fat, like chicken fat. It definitely has a chicken flavor to it but it tastes like chicken skin. Really not bad at all.”
(BuzzFeed Food editors wouldn’t let Gavon consume the chicken brains raw because salmonella is a real thing. So these brains were the only that were cooked.)
4. Note also that chicken brains are small. Smaller, in fact, than the chicken’s eyes.
5. Next up, lamb brains.
“Very gelatinous. There’s no resistance at all. It’s not chewy or rubbery. The flavor is reminiscent of sashimi. You definitely get a protein-y flavor. The mouthfeel is very unique — it’s unlike anything I’ve had before.”
6. Then goat brains.
“There’s a flavor but it’s very faint, and it’s not recognizable or comparable to anything I’ve ever had before. It’s very odd.”
7. Pig brains.
“The mouthfeel is almost identical to the goat and the lamb. Unlike the other brains, I’m getting an aftertaste. It actually tastes like pork. Who would’ve thought?”
8. Finally, THE WINNER: Calf brains
“I don’t know if it’s because it’s cow or because it was just better packaged than the rest, but it’s much firmer. It does have some snap-back to it when you bite into it. Very clean finish. If I had to eat any of these again, I think I’d eat the calf.”
9. Conclusion: This was far more disgusting in concept than in execution.
10. Well, except for this part.
Gavon almost choked on some skull bits. Watch the video, you’ll see.
We've got your WKND covered.
- California Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House. ›
- The United Nations has proposed a national unity government for Libya after peace talks between the north African country's two rival factions. ›
- Walter Scott's family has reached a $6.5 million settlement with North Charleston, S.C., where the unarmed black man was fatally shot by an officer in April. ›