3. Then BuzzFeed editor Gavon Laessig ate them. First he started with the chicken brains.
This is a pile of 5 chicken brains.
“Spongey, not very sticky. It just tastes like fat, like chicken fat. It definitely has a chicken flavor to it but it tastes like chicken skin. Really not bad at all.”
(BuzzFeed Food editors wouldn’t let Gavon consume the chicken brains raw because salmonella is a real thing. So these brains were the only that were cooked.)
4. Note also that chicken brains are small. Smaller, in fact, than the chicken’s eyes.
5. Next up, lamb brains.
“Very gelatinous. There’s no resistance at all. It’s not chewy or rubbery. The flavor is reminiscent of sashimi. You definitely get a protein-y flavor. The mouthfeel is very unique — it’s unlike anything I’ve had before.”
6. Then goat brains.
“There’s a flavor but it’s very faint, and it’s not recognizable or comparable to anything I’ve ever had before. It’s very odd.”
7. Pig brains.
“The mouthfeel is almost identical to the goat and the lamb. Unlike the other brains, I’m getting an aftertaste. It actually tastes like pork. Who would’ve thought?”
8. Finally, THE WINNER: Calf brains
“I don’t know if it’s because it’s cow or because it was just better packaged than the rest, but it’s much firmer. It does have some snap-back to it when you bite into it. Very clean finish. If I had to eat any of these again, I think I’d eat the calf.”
9. Conclusion: This was far more disgusting in concept than in execution.
10. Well, except for this part.
Gavon almost choked on some skull bits. Watch the video, you’ll see.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed on immigration, Obama, and Kissinger (!) in Thursday's Democratic debate. We have a recap for you 🇺🇸
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.