This salad comes from the new cookbook Vibrant Food, written by the Kimberley Hasselbrink, the photographer and creator of the blog The Year In Food. The day a copy arrived at BuzzFeed offices I snuck it home immediately not just because it seemed full of inspiration for someone trying to make dinners more bright and colorful (see my earlier admission of my cooking rut), but also because every dish is just insanely beautiful to look at (and I like to read pretty cookbooks before bed). Her book, like her blog, takes cues from seasonal fruits and vegetables and charts the course of a year. It was inspired by a series of color studies on her site. All of Hasselbrink’s recipes are gluten free; meat and fish make occasional appearances but aren’t big. CHECK IT OUT.
3. Roasted Potato Salad With Asparagus and Boiled Egg
Recipe by Kimberley Hasselbrink for Vibrant Food
7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup finely chopped fresh basil
½ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
2 pounds new potatoes, such as fingerling or yellow Finn, halved lengthwise
½ pound asparagus, sliced diagonally into ½-inch pieces
4 eggs, room temperature
2 to 3 radishes, sliced paper-thin
Chive blossoms or chives, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. To prepare the herb sauce, combine 4 tablespoons of the olive oil with the basil, parsley, Parmesan, tarragon, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
3. Toss the potatoes in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Arrange them in a single layer cut side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for about 25 to 30 minutes, turning them once, until fork tender but firm.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the eggs. Bring a medium pot of water to a gentle boil. Using a slotted spoon, carefully place the eggs in the gently simmering water. Cook for 7 minutes, or longer for a firmer yolk. Remove the eggs with the spoon and place in an ice water bath for about 3 minutes. Gently remove the shell from each egg and slice in half lengthwise.
5. Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the asparagus. Sauté the asparagus for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
6. Combine the warm potatoes with the herb sauce. Add the asparagus and gently mix. Divide among four plates, placing one egg on each plate. Finish with a few radish slices and a sprinkle of chive blossoms. Serve warm.