1. The producers of Good Morning America sent us 5,000+ Peeps to play with.
They asked us to make crazy stuff that they could put on TV.
2. First we tried to bake them into a ostrich egg cake.
3. That really didn’t work :(
4. Then we tried to melt them into fondue.
5. That looked pretty cool but tasted really gross.
Peeps don’t melt the way marshmallows do because they are covered in a thick layer of sugar, which both insulates the marshmallow part from melting, but burns quickly on the outside if placed directly in a pot. So to make a fondue, we learned that it’s best to combine Peeps with a little butter and cream. (You can also do this easily in the microwave.) The ratio of 10 Peeps to 1 tablespoon butter worked — we also added a tablespoon of cream. That combination was stable (stayed melty and gooey/didn’t break and separate) when sitting over low heat. But when we dipped fruit and crackers into it for a taste, we all had miserable sugar headaches instantly. FAIL.
6. Next we made a Peepsicle Punch…
7. …by freezing peeps into ice cubes using a muffin tray.
9. Peepsicle Punch
8-10 mint sprigs
2 liters store-bought lemonade (Our favorite brand is Newman’s Own Virgin Lemonade)
12 chick Peeps
4 liters plain seltzer water
1 12-cup muffin tin (silicone is best)
Fill muffin tin cups 1/2 full with water. Place in freezer for 1-2 hours, until frozen solid. Meanwhile, wash mint springs and put them in the lemonade bottle. Seal and shake, and let sit in fridge for an hour to infuse the flavor.
Remove ice tray from freezer and put peeps on top of ice blocks. Pour cold water into muffin cups to fill them to the top, then put back in freezer for another hour until frozen solid. Strain lemonade into punch bowl, add seller and Peepsicles. Serve immediately.
10. That was delightful because the Peeps look like they are floating in the punch.
11. It was also pretty popular around the office — once we added gin.
13. So we made a Peepza. And it was surprisingly delicious!
14. Peeperoni Peepza
Recipe reluctantly yet blissfully created by Emily Fleischaker and Andrew Gauthier
12 graham crackers crushed (about 2 cups crumbs)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
10 yellow Peeps (3 oz)
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup Nutella
1 3-oz dark chocolate bar broken into small pieces
5 Peeps in whatever color you like
1 tablespoon shredded coconut
1 tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts
kosher salt to taste
Preheat broiler. To make crumbs out of the crackers, put crackers in a plastic bag, seal bag, and whack with the back of a spoon. You want mostly small crumbs with some larger chunks mixed in. Add salt and stir to combine.
Microwave butter with 10 Peeps for 25 seconds, stir to combine. Coat your hands or a spoon with baking spray then work the melted marshmallow into the graham cracker crumbs. Press the mixture onto a greased baking sheet in one even layer, forming a 12-diameter circle. Allow crust to sit for 10 minutes — if possible in the fridge.
Microwave Nutella 30 seconds, then spread it onto the crust. Drop chocolate pieces onto the Nutella. Microwave Peeps for 10 seconds, then transfer to pizza with a spatula and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until Peeps have browned and chocolate is melty. Top with coconut, chopped peanuts, and kosher salt. Serve warm.
15. We will be on Good Morning America today at 8 a.m. trying to recreate the Peepza — except six times larger — as quickly as possible.
Hopefully it will not be a disaster, but it’s definitely going to be a disaster.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️