When Grumpy Cat’s talking, you best listen.
The first rule of Bacon Club is NEVER THROW AWAY BACON FAT. There is so, so much you can do with it. You can use it more or less any time a recipe asks you to sauté or roast food with another fat like olive oil or vegetable oil — except that this way, that food will end up gloriously anointed with smoky, salty, delicious bacon flavor. And sure, you could limit the application of this magical liquid pork to just savory-type stuff, but also: bacon cookies.
First, here’s how bacon fat is born into the world:
1. Buy bacon.
2. Saute it.
3. Once the bacon is out of the pan, pour the drippings into a heat-proof bowl. The brown bits will sink to the bottom. Some people like to use those brown bits when they cook with bacon fat, because the bits are full of flavor. Some people like to strain them out through cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
4. Store bacon fat in a covered jar in your refrigerator and use within 3 months.
And here’s what to do with that beautiful fat, courtesy of Marie Rama, coauthor of the just-released cookbook Bacon Nation.
2. Make Caesar salad dressing with bacon drippings in place of the olive oil.
3. Add it to your ground beef or turkey before making burgers.
Add about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat per pound to raw hamburger, ground turkey, or venison meat before frying or grilling the patties.
4. Use it to cook sunny-side-up eggs.
Above: Sunny Side Up Egg in Shaved Asparagus Ribbon Nests via Apron Strings
5. Add it to boiling water when making beans, polenta, grits, or rice.
Above: Edna Lewis and Scott Peacock’s Shrimp Grits via Food52
6. Sauté onions, carrots, and/or garlic in bacon fat for soups.
7. Add to cookie dough before baking, as in these Bacon Lace Cookies, for extra crispy cookies.
Get the recipe here.
8. Sauté sliced brussels sprouts in bacon fat.
Above: Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Apple via Caveman Gourmet
9. Toss veggies like cauliflower florets or thick red pepper strips in bacon fat before roasting.
11. Toss sweet potato wedges in bacon drippings before roasting to make crispy baked sweet potato fries.
12. Add bacon fat when boiling water to cook or blanch green beans.
13. Mix with Sriracha and drizzle over ears of grilled corn — or sauté off-the-cob corn in drippings.
14. When you’re baking potatoes, coat the skin with bacon fat before putting the potatoes in the oven.
15. Sauté sliced tomatoes in bacon drippings to make the ultimate BLT sandwich.
We've got your WKND covered.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️