Caramel-Apple Jello Shots
You could definitely swap out the vodka for bourbon, use coconut milk instead of evaporated milk, and regular hot chocolate mix if you can’t find caramel hot chocolate.
ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Makes 40 Jello Shots
Fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
5 apples (Granny Smith work best)
1/2 cup water
1 envelope caramel hot chocolate mix (Nestle or Land o Lakes; regular hot chocolate is ok too; each envelope is about 1 oz.)
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup caramel sauce
1 envelope unflavored knox gelatin
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup vodka
Cut the apples in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller, scoop out the inside of the apples, taking care to create a shell of even thickness. Set apple halves into cups of a muffin pan and squeeze or brush lemon juice onto cut apples to reduce browning. Place in fridge until filling is ready.
Make filling: In a medium saucepan, combine water with hot chocolate mix and whisk until the cocoa dissolves. Add evaporated milk and caramel sauce and whisk again to combine. Sprinkle gelatin onto mixture evenly and allow to sit about 2 minutes. Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until it just reaches a gentle simmer — this is to ensure gelatin is fully dissolved.
Add sugar and simmer gently for about a minute. Turn off the heat and let mixture cool to warm. Add vodka. Transfer to a container with a spout.
Fill each apple cup with caramel jello mixture. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
To serve, place apples flesh-down (Jello down) on cutting board. Cut lengthwise in half, then in half again. Trim off any brown parts with a paring knife. Serve immediately. (The lemon juice can only prevent the browning for so long).
CREDIT: Adapted from That’s So Michelle
1. Cut 5 apples in half lengthwise.
2. Using a melon baller, scoop out the inside of the apples. This part is the least fun…
3. …but try to create a shell of even thickness.
4. Set apple halves into cups of a muffin pan and admire how nice and snug they look.
5. Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto the apples to prevent browning.
6. We used a pastry brush because we were being fancy / shooting a video. But it’s a good way to make sure they’re really coated.
Be generous with the lemon juice - it’s a nice flavor and you want to coat the apple as much as possible .
7. In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water with an envelope of hot chocolate mix, and whisk until the cocoa dissolves.
8. Add 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk.
9. Add 1/4 cup store-bought caramel sauce.
10. Sprinkle 1 envelope of gelatin onto mixture evenly.
11. After it has soaked a few minutes, heat the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until it just reaches a gentle simmer — this is to ensure gelatin is fully dissolved.
12. Add 1/4 cup sugar.
13. Then add 1 cup vodka (or bourbon).
14. Transfer to a container with a spout. Make sure the apple cups are level before you beging to pour.
15. Fill each apple cup with caramel jello mixture.
16. Refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
17. until the gelatin has set.
18. To serve, place apples jello-down on cutting board. Slice in half, then in half again.
19. Look how pretty!
20. Use a clean knife and a single stroke to get the best slices.
21. Make all of your friends admire and Instagram and “ooh” and “ahh”
22. Then eat them immediately! (The lemon juice can only prevent the browning for so long).
- Super Bowl 50 catch-up: The Denver Broncos upset the Carolina Panthers. And Beyoncé slayed her half-time show 🏈 👑
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates debated in New Hampshire ahead of Tuesday's primary, and Sen. Marco Rubio malfunctioned 🇺🇸
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."