Last night was the Fourth Annual NYC Latke Festival in Brooklyn.
There were 17 chef and restaurant contestants. It was held at the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM).
Everyone who attended got to eat latkes and vote for a winner.
1. This is the latke that won the people’s choice award. It is a yucca and sweet potato latke with apple plantain sorbet, queso fresco, pickled onion, cilantro and spicy green hot sauce.
It was made by Gramercy Tavern sous chef Micah Fredman.
Here is the one wearing the medal. At far left is the head chef of Gramercy Tavern (and one of the country’s best chefs), Michael Anthony.
2. This is the latke that won the judge’s award. It is a Potato, Yam and Carrot Latke with Honey, Preserved Lemons and Yogurt Sauce.
The judges were: Karen Brooks Hopkins, President of BAM; Eric Demby, Founder of Brooklyn Flea; Carol Diuguid, Lead Editor at Zagat; Gabriella Gershenson, Senior Editor at Saveur; Rozanne Gold, James Beard award-winning chef and author; Annaliese Griffin, Editor-in-Chief at Brooklyn Based; Michael Hurwitz, Executive Director of Greenmarket; Leonard Lopate, Host on WNYC
Leah Koenig, Writer and cookbook author; Lee Schrager, Founder of the New York Wine and Food Festival.
Maybe you’d like to see all of the other fancy latkes …
3. Here’s one with House Smoked Salmon, Salmon Roe, and Chive Créme Fraiche.
by Clinton Street Bakery
4. This one has Vanilla Applesauce and Schmaltzy Onions.
by Blue Ribbon Brooklyn
5. Here’s an Indian Spiced Latke with Spicy Cauliflower Chutney & Crushed Cashew Nuts.
Made by BAM cafe.
6. This latke has a truffle on it! There’s also apple and fontina cheese.
7. These fancy guys are topped with Juniper-Spiced Venison and Fuji Apple-Huckleberry Jam.
by The Plaza hotel
8. WOAH: Potato and Mountain Yam Latke with Beef Short Ribs topped with Brussels sprout, Apple, Caraway Kimchi, topped with Housemade Sour Cream.
by The Vanderbilt
9. This one is drowning a little bit in a Porcini Mushroom Sauce and Cranberry-Apple Sauce.
10. Short Rib Latke with Calvados Smoked Crème Fraîche and a Baked Sour Apple Chip.
by Stone Park Cafe
11. A very locavore latke made of potato and celery root with Hudson Valley Duck Confit, Huckleberry, and Crispy Kale.
by Mae Mae Cafe
12. OH HEY Daikon! This is a Potato, Apple, Daikon Latke with Seasoned Ricotta & Smoked Crab. Yum.
by Fatty Cue
13. Latkes with “Lots of Sauces” including a Lox Sauce made from sour cream, diced lox, and fresh chives.
by the Sussman brothers
14. Comparably laid back latke: Deviled Egg and Red onion, Parsley and Black Olive Relish
by Dizzy’s Club
15. Ahem: A duo of Potato Latke with Balsamic Lemon Crème Fraiche, Fresh Shaved Black Truffles and Micro Green Salad.
by Veselka Bowery
16. “The Spud Maccabee” with Pickled Fennel Jam, Butternut Squash, and Crème Fraîche.
by The Farm on Adderley
17. Maybe you’d like some Goose Confit, Roasted Squash, and Apples on your fried potatoes.
From restaurant Berlyn.
18. And here is a Menorah made out of bread.
by Hot Bread Kitchen.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›