1. On Tuesday, Paramount Pictures Australia tweeted out a poster for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.
2. The poster shows the Turtles jumping from an exploding building, and the Australian release date is listed as Sept. 11, 2014. Particularly since the franchise is set in New York City, many found it offensive.
The movie will be released in the U.S. Aug. 8, 2014.
3. Many people quickly commented on the poster.
7. Paramount Pictures AU has since deleted the tweet and has not mentioned the poster.
8. The poster has also been deleted from Paramount Pictures AU’s Facebook page.
9. Request for comment to Michael Bay went unanswered.
Update: Paramount Pictures Australia issued the below statement to BuzzFeed:
“We are deeply sorry to have used that artwork for the marketing materials promoting the September 11 opening in Australia. Combining that image and date was a mistake. We intended no offense and have taken immediate action to discontinue its use.”
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Britain is set to increase the number of refugees being let into the country. The extra people aren't in Europe already, they will likely come from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›