1. Tony Abbott, the conservative head of Australia’s Liberal Party, was elected Prime Minister Saturday, defeating opponent Kevin Rudd’s Labor Party for the first time in 6 years.
2. The internet was not happy to hear this news.
3. Australians on Tumblr first attempted to put the election into context for the rest of the world.
5. Meanwhile, the website howfuckedisaustralia.com offered helpful advice to those looking for information on Australia’s current political atmosphere.
6. Slowly, the rest of the world began to understand Australia’s anger…
10. Unhappy Australians channeled their disappointment into Tumblr and Twitter.
15. Some looked into the possibility of leaving the country for good.
tony abbott is the new prime minister of australia
18. While sympathetic Tumblr users from around the world offered refuge…
20. Australians began to fear for their technology.
23. And the actions that the new Prime Minister might take once he assumes office.
25. And then, of course, the memes began.
- Illinois' attorney general has asked the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division to investigate Chicago's police department. ›
- It's World AIDS Day — 35 million people have died from AIDS-related conditions, and more than 34 million people are living with the disease. ›
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says he'll give away 99% of his Facebook shares (worth $45 billion today) over the course of his life. ›