1. Tony Abbott, the conservative head of Australia’s Liberal Party, was elected Prime Minister Saturday, defeating opponent Kevin Rudd’s Labor Party for the first time in 6 years.
3. Australians on Tumblr first attempted to put the election into context for the rest of the world.
5. Meanwhile, the website howfuckedisaustralia.com offered helpful advice to those looking for information on Australia’s current political atmosphere.
6. Slowly, the rest of the world began to understand Australia’s anger…
10. Unhappy Australians channeled their disappointment into Tumblr and Twitter.
15. Some looked into the possibility of leaving the country for good.
tony abbott is the new prime minister of australia
18. While sympathetic Tumblr users from around the world offered refuge…
23. And the actions that the new Prime Minister might take once he assumes office.
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›