1. The BBC announced Wednesday that Sherlock will return for a special and another three episodes, to begin filming in 2015.
2. The news was released via Twitter at 2:21 p.m. BST.
In a BBC statement, co-creator, writer, and executive producer of Sherlock Mark Gatiss said: “Series Four! At last ! It’s always special to return to Sherlock but this time it’s even more special as we’re doing… a Special! Not only THAT, we’ll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole Sherlock team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The Game is on - again!”
9. A few days before the announcement, Sherlock star Martin Freeman said the show would likely begin filming early next year and would return in December 2015.
10. BBC One’s Twitter account hinted the night before that some sort of announcement was coming.
12. And fans soon made #221back trend worldwide.
13. But as new episodes have been rumoured for a long time, Twitter reaction to all of this news has been mixed.
- The family of Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell in July three days after she was detained during a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in federal court.
- Migrant deaths in the Mediterranean have exceeded 2,000, making 2015 the deadliest year for people trying to reach Europe, according to the International Organization for Migration.
- At least 24 homes have been lost and one firefighter killed as dozens of wildfires continue to ravage drought-stricken California.