1. The BBC announced Wednesday that Sherlock will return for a special and another three episodes, to begin filming in 2015.
2. The news was released via Twitter at 2:21 p.m. BST.
In a BBC statement, co-creator, writer, and executive producer of Sherlock Mark Gatiss said: “Series Four! At last ! It’s always special to return to Sherlock but this time it’s even more special as we’re doing… a Special! Not only THAT, we’ll then be shooting three more episodes which will take Sherlock and John Watson into deeper and darker water than ever before. The whole Sherlock team are terrifically excited to return for four new adventures. The Game is on - again!”
9. A few days before the announcement, Sherlock star Martin Freeman said the show would likely begin filming early next year and would return in December 2015.
10. BBC One’s Twitter account hinted the night before that some sort of announcement was coming.
12. And fans soon made #221back trend worldwide.
13. But as new episodes have been rumoured for a long time, Twitter reaction to all of this news has been mixed.
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.
- A pilot has broken the world records for longest solo flight and longest non-stop flight ever taken in a solar-powered airplane ?