1. When motorcycles started the parade waving giant rainbow and American flags.
2. Whenever I saw people celebrating the Supreme Court decision striking down the Defense of Marriage Act.
3. When people cheered DOMA plaintiff Edie Windsor, who was one of the parade’s grand marshalls.
4. When this woman pointed out Edie Windsor to her daughters and said, “See that lady with the gray hair and the hat? She’s the reason why your moms can get married.”
5. Whenever I saw people thanking Edie Windsor.
6. When Edie Windsor said, “To everyone saying ‘Thank you,’ let me just say you’re welcome. Bless us all.”
7. When a bunch of men watching the parade started bowing down to Edie Windsor as she drove by…
She noticed them and got a huge smile on her face…
And started bowing back.
It was a joyous, spontaneous moment and I’m very happy that I got to witness it.
8. When Sen. Chuck Schumer declared, “I was the first senator to march in this parade, but I won’t be the last.”
9. When Gov. Andrew Cuomo started singing along to “Empire State of Mind” as he marched in front of the Stonewall Inn.
10. When New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner waved a pride flag and everyone started chanting, “Weiner! Weiner!”
(This is because I have the sense of humor of an 8 year-old.)