1. For over 30 years, Benito Hernandez has lived under a rock with his wife and seven children.
2. Hernandez built walls of sun-dried brick and wood around the 131-foot boulder that serves as the house’s roof.
3. As the house has no running water, plumbing or electricity, the family cooks on a wood-burning stove and uses a nearby spring for fresh water.
Santa Martha de la Cruz Villarreal ® looks on as her husband Benito Hernandez pours hot water into a cup while standing inside their home near San Jose de Las Piedras.
4. Their unique dwelling in the arid desert of Coahuila is located outside the town of San Jose de Las Piedras, about 50 miles south of Texas.
Adan Hernandez, son of Benito Hernandez and his wife Santa Martha de la Cruz Villarreal, holds a flashlight inside the family’s bedroom.
5. Hernandez first visited the mountain range of San Jose de Las Piedras as an 8 year-old boy.
Santa Martha de la Cruz Villarreal looks into her family’s bedroom at their home near San Jose de Las Piedras.
6. It was then that he found the rock that would one day become his home.
7. Omar Hernandez, Benito’s son, enjoys jumping from rock to rock near the family home.
8. Although he staked a claim to the rock as a young man, it took Hernandez 20 years to legally obtain the land.
The initials of the Family Hernandez de Cruz are seen over the door of their home.
9. He and his wife Santa Martha de la Cruz make a living by working in candellila fields nearby, tending and harvesting the plants for their wax, which is used in everything from chewing gum and chapstick to cough syrup.
10. Six of the Hernandez children have moved out into homes nearby, but Benito and his wife have no desire to move to a more comfortable home.
11. Despite the hardships, Hernandez will remain. “I started coming here when I was 8 years old to visit the candelilla fields and I liked it here,” he told IBTimes TV. “I wasn’t married and I didn’t have a family yet, but I liked it.”
- Two bomb attacks in Nigeria's central city of Jos killed at least 44 people.
- Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned following an overwhelming "no" vote on new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. The country's future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The U.S. defeated Japan 5-2 in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup. It was the highest scoring final in the history of the tournament ⚽️